Your Guide to Local Area Happenings
Serving: Stayton, Sublimity, Aumsville, Turner, Scio, 
Lyons, Mill City, Gates, Detroit and the Santiam Canyon.

Home Page>>




Gerald E. “Jerry” Noack
May 11, 1939 – October 20, 2017

Stayton – Jerry, 78, died October 20 in Salem. He was born in Visalia CA, to Ada (Christensen) and Wilbur Noack. Jerry married Rita Watts June 17, 1961 in Reno, NV, she preceded him in death on November 12, 2015. His family moved to Stayton when he was a child, and he graduated from Stayton High School in 1957. Jerry joined the Army and served active duty from 1957-1960, reserves for a year after that and was honorably discharged.

He was trained as a lithographer and Cartographer in the Army and spent much of his service time in Europe taking pictures from planes of the different areas and making maps from those pictures. It was there that he learned to run large, 4 color printing presses and was a certified pressman.

Jerry could build anything and although he didn't read or write well, would thoroughly research anything he had an inkling to make. He was always a big kid at heart and loved joking around. In the late 70's, Jerry, decided to learn to weld and took classes at OSU, where he was working as a printer, and to learn the farrier trade. He opened "Jerry's Ornamental Iron Works" shortly afterward. Jerry came from a family of artists and that skill didn't miss him. Aside from doing the welding for his shop, he also did all the design work for customers and started doing metal artwork, the kind you hang on the wall. He also did beautiful leather work, making saddles, belts and even his own leather vests.

Jerry and mom used to hit the craft show circuits where he took his scroll saw and would cut out your name (in cursive) from a single piece of wood while you waited. He did all of the wood work for Moms crafts as well. It was funny, in 2015, when mom was sick, even with the dementia, he decided my cousin Susan needed her name in wood and after having my daughter trace it onto the wood, he went out to the garage and 10 minutes later, back in he came, with Susan's name perfectly cut out... He could barely walk, had a tremor that made writing almost impossible and couldn't remember how to drive, but could do THAT with the precision he had 20 years before... 

In the 80's he went to Saudi Arabia and trained men on how to work the big 4 color presses. It was there that he learned the art of moonshine, making his own still and perfecting his recipe. Apparently in a country where alcohol is prohibited, there was quite the demand for it and he did his part to fulfill the need.  I'd only seen him drink alcohol (and be drunk) twice in my life, but he always had a jar of the 'shine tucked away for anyone who visited to sample. After returning from Saudi Arabia for good in 1985, Jerry worked for Advertising West until he retired. I'm sorry, I couldn't tell you the year he finally had to give it up for good. Between the tremors he developed after his stroke and his memory, the jobs just became less and less.

He and mom moved back to the Stayton area in 1990, where they lived until her passing in 2015. Jerry did not want a service. His final wishes were to be cremated and his ashes to spread over the Santiam Pass. North Santiam Funeral Service is handling the services.

He is survived by his daughters; Tina Greiner of Albany and Traci Sauls of Culver: grandsons; Brandon Noack (wife Jessica) of Madras, William Soto of Albany, Jared Hettick of San Diego, CA and granddaughter Katherine Greiner of Vancouver, WA. Even though it drove his grandkids nuts, he always responded to an "I love you poppa" with "I love you Bookoo." I think he picked it up in France (funny, he HATED Paris). A friend offered that "If you didn't get to know him, you missed out." He really was quite the character.


Copyright © 2017 - - All rights reserved
All Content and Design Copyright © 2017 - - All rights reserved
Any unauthorized use, including republishing content in any manner, is strictly prohibited.

click tracking